Black Lives Matter Donation Matching
**WICS will be matching donations to any of the organizations listed below (and related affiliates) totaling up to $1000. To double your donation, send a photo of your donation receipt via Instagram direct message (https://www.instagram.com/uciwics) or email (email@example.com). Block out any private information, please. If you would like your donation to be anonymous let us know so we don’t include you in a shoutout. ***
To our WICS community,
Like all of you, we are heartbroken and outraged over the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and Tony McDade. These tragedies unfortunately are all too familiar to us and we have had enough. Diversity and inclusion are the pillars on which WICS was built, and we want to make it clear that we stand with the Black community, and will actively advocate for the equality and justice that’s beyond overdue to them. We are in a unique position to have a platform that we can utilize to fight systemic racism and police brutality in our nation.
We want to address firmly that it is not enough to be non-racist. We need to be anti-racist. The color of your skin does not make you anti-racist. Being a minority does not make you anti-racist. Being anti-racist requires actively looking for, standing up against, and fighting racial prejudice. We know that a large majority of our WICS members are Asian-American and now, more than ever, it is time for us to all stand together against racism. We encourage you to look at and share our resources on how to talk about racism in America with your family, why it matters, and how you can help.
This address is the first step of many that we hope to make to contribute to the black lives matter movement. This will likely be a very long battle, but we are at a critical point in history where we can invoke real change. We can not stop until there is justice. If there are any concerns or suggestions that you have during this time we implore you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Educate yourself and others
Support Black-owned businesses
If you can’t donate money, donate with your time/clicks
- Youtube Playlist that is donating to organizations via ad revenue. BE SURE TO TURN OFF AD BLOCK, and try to click each video / search it in the search bar rather than play the playlist. Click some of the ads for a bigger impact!
Contact legislation and sign petitions
Stand up to racism, even if it’s your friends or family; advocacy requires you to reach out to people who may not agree with you.
Donate if you’re able to, and we will match! Below are some of our recommended non-profits:
- ReclaimTheBlock (Reclaim the Block began in 2018 and organizes Minneapolis community and city council members to move money from the police department into other areas of the city’s budget that truly promote community health and safety.)
- Black Visions Collective (BLVC believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.)
- Communities United Against Police Brutality (Our overriding goal is to create a climate of resistance to abuse of authority by police organizations and to empower local people with a structure that can take on police brutality and actually bring it to an end.)
- Black Lives Matter (The official #BlackLivesMatter Global Network builds power to bring justice, healing, and freedom to Black people across the globe.)
- Black Girls Code (To increase the number of women of color in the digital space by empowering girls of color ages 7 to 17 to become innovators in STEM fields, leaders in their communities, and builders of their own futures through exposure to computer science and technology.)
- For additional donation opportunities see this list
If there’s any concerns or suggestions that you have during this time we implore you to send us an email at the address listed above.
We hear you and we’re here for you.